Thursday, June 9, 2011

Raw Coconut and Chocolate Truffles

I've been reading raw food blogs for quite some time now, and occasionally dabble in the cooking side of it. Raw food is something that really interests me and I do try to incorporate at least some of the mentalities into my daily eating. I have a friend who is really keen on raw at the moment and has inspired me to get a bit adventurous with my cooking (or 'un-cooking' as the case may be!). Here is a recipe for raw truffles I made up a few weeks ago, and have been enjoying for snacks on the road ever since. Kept in the freezer, they are a delicious treat that tastes quite decadent, but are actually really healthy, being mostly nuts and wholegrains! Next time I would definitely add some fruit, probably a few dates, to change the texture a bit. Don't get too caught up in the 'raw' label; I don't. I eat what tastes yummy and makes me feel good - and these do!

Soaking nuts makes them much more easily digestible, and gives them a creamy texture when blended. The ones I used were soaked overnight, but I think only a few hours is fine for a nut as soft as the cashew. Make sure you drain off the water first, or your truffle mixture will be sloppy! I also made a batch of cashew nut milk with some of the leftover soaked nuts, and it was yum! As my raw milk supply will come to an end for the winter very soon, I think I will try and use more nut milks as a replacement, until the spring comes and my much loved milk returns.

Raw Coconut and Chocolate Truffles

1 cup raw soaked cashew nuts
3/4 cup wholegrain rolled oats
1 Tbsp flaxseed
2 Tbsp coconut oil
1 Tbsp carob powder
1 tsp vanilla essence

Coating
1/2 cup dessicated coconut
1/4 cup soaked and dried buckwheat (optional) 

Process ingredients in a blender until smooth. Scrape down sides regularly to keep blades going. Roll tablespoons of mixture into a ball and roll in coconut and buckwheat mixture. Freeze four hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment