Friday, December 3, 2010

Books Galore!

Paddy and I are eagerly awaiting the arrival of a recent order from this fantastic site. We ordered up large this time, including a few books for Christmas presents (for ourselves and others). But, even with a substantial order, it was surprising how little it cost! There is free shipping ALL OVER THE WORLD from The Book Depository, which means mega savings! I have ordered books from Amazon for quite a while, and have always been alarmed at a) how much shipping costs, and b) how long they take to get to arrive! We ordered our books on Sunday, so I will let you know when they arrive...

Here's what we ordered:
- Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon- finally! I've been wanting this book for the longest time!
- 1984 by George Orwell
- Animal Farm by George Orwell
- The Play of Animal Farm by Peter Hall
- Inferno: the Divine Comedy of Dante Alighieri by Danta Alighieri
- Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson
- The Big Fat Duck Cookbook by Heston Blumenthal


Most of these books are for Paddy, with the exception of the Fat Duck Cookbook. My little brother is a chef and this is quite a splurgy but special present for him; he adores cookbooks. 


We are lucky enough to live across the road from a secondhand bookshop, from which we buy most of our books. But, all the ones we ordered have not been able to be found, despite many, many visits to secondhand bookshops around Christchurch.

Having been on holiday I have been absorbing books at quite a rate. Here are some of my current favourites:
- Real Fresh Food by Anna and Roger Wilde
- The Home Companion by Wendyl Nissen
- The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy
- The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larson (and the sequels)
- Any 'Good' magazine I can get my hands on!
- The latest NZ Gardener publication - Homegrown 7: Fresh Veges
- NZ Lifestyle Block's How to Care for Your Poulty (not that I have poultry, but you know, I'm just planning)
- The Good Life by Francesca Price


Ahh the luxury of guilt-less, Uni-free reading is divine! What books are you currently enjoying?

1 comment:

  1. I'm more of a non-fiction reader, well actually more of a browser! I've just put a hold on The Home Companion at the library so I'm looking forward to perusing that over the holidays. I also love the gardener magazines but haven't got the new Homegrown yet(might make a hint for a xmas pressie!)
    I've also been looking at lots of craft books and dreaming of making things but not actually getting on to doing it. hehe. thanks for your comment about our little celebrity in the Avenues magazine:)

    ReplyDelete